We don’t have to spell out why brakes are important. Whether you need to make a sudden stop or slow down on a difficult road, having brakes that function perfectly is crucial for every Acura driver. From urgent brake repairs to proactive tune-ups that prevent future brake malfunctions, these five tasks should help keep your brakes in top shape:
1. Replace your brake pads: This is perhaps the most common braking issue. Brake pads are crucial to the function of your car’s braking system, but they take a lot of abuse over the years as they take on tons of friction. A worn down brake pad can spell danger on the roads, so make you have a professional look at your brake pads and replace them every 50,000 miles.
2. Change your brake fluid: The mechanics of brakes are complex — and brake fluid helps everything move along smoothly. But if your brake fluid is full of moisture, it has a higher chance of boiling and corroding your brake system. That’s why you should change your brake fluid regularly to increase braking performance. Most Acura drivers should plan on changing it every two years.
3. Fix your brake light: Your brake system is a (literally) well-oiled machine, with different parts working together to keep you safe. One unsung hero is the brake light. While it doesn’t have anything to with the actual function of your brakes, it’s an important signal that keeps you and the cars around you safe. If your brake light isn’t turning on or flashing incorrectly, get it fixed immediately.
4. Anti-lock brake troubles with your Acura: Your Acura likely comes fit with powerful anti-lock brakes. It’s not always easy figuring out what’s wrong with them or how to fix them. Luckily, the certified ASE mechanics at LexService can run diagnostic tests that pinpoint the issue with your anti-lock brakes — so don’t wait to come in for a check-up when you think something’s wrong.
5. Get your brakes relined: Ever hit the brakes and then hear a high-pitched squealing sound? That certainly isn’t normal. It probably means your brakes need to be relined, a fairly common brake issue that any shop will be able to fix.
Brakes are a vital part of any functioning car. Contact the experts at LexService and they can answer any question you might have about brakes for your Acura or other Japanese vehicle in Torrance, Harbor City, Los Angeles and Artesia. They also offer service, maintenance, and repairs on all Japanese car models, in